Saturday, April 4, 2009

Baffled...maybe you can help


When we sing a particular hymn at church, it always has me shaking my head. I wonder what it could possibly mean....maybe you can help me. The hymn I am talking about is "Come, Ye Children of the Lord". It is a fun hymn to sing, with a quick tempo--honestly, I enjoy it. One line in particular, however, needs to be explained. It is in the 3rd verse, 2nd line, it sings, "We will shout in joyous lays." I looked to the line before this for help, and I am still flumoxed...."We will sing in songs of praise; We will shout in joyous lays."

Now I am not going to tell you what my filthy mind thought, so instead, I will tell you what Big C thought. I nudged him during the song and whispered, "What does this mean?" I could see him mentally slow-reading the line. He turned to me with wide eyes and shrugged his shoulders, as if to say "Darned if I know!" After a couple of seconds though, he smiled broadly--I think it is because he thinks the line is talking about chickens or maybe chips.

Help me! I would really like to be able to sing this song and know what I am singing. If you know....HELP!

11 comments:

William said...

I looked it up, but I couldn't make any sense of it. I'm going to have to put my money on the potato chip theory; there is not a whole lot that will make me joyous as a bag of Sour Cream & Onion Potato Chips! Mmmmm-mmm!

On the other hand, maybe it's a secret code, like in the sixties when talking about a "tambourine man" meant the same thing as your drug dealer.

I asked my roommate. His response was, "That's a good question. I don't know. What about, 'don we now our gay apparel'?"

(please forgive the sloppy punctuation... the tambourine man gave me some potent lays... and i can't seem to form my gay apparel)

Frogluver said...

A lay is a song or tune.

Dellp said...

Cricket... cricket...

:oD

William said...

Wow! Lita Ford had a song back in the 80's that I never really understood until now. Here it is altered - with lyrics that are less confusing:

"I went to a party last Saturday night! I didn't get sung to, I got in a fight! Uh huh! It aint no big thing!"

And all that time, I thought she had hopes of wearing flowers around her neck!

William said...

It's not so far-fetched.

... it could have been a Hawaiian Luau that she was going to and someone might have bopped her with their kabob!

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

stoner said...

Willy...you are insane....that is why I love you!

Too funny!

stoner said...

Frogluver...thanks for the explanation....makes sense. And it will provide me some comfort next time I sing the song.....

stoner said...

Dellp....yeah...I am learning.....I am learning....

Amberly said...

I do not know what it means, but I am really impressed with your usage of the word flumoxed!

Anonymous said...

I think I read your blog cuz you make me giggle.
I am a child of the 80's I don't listen to the words I just like the beat! ;-) (isn't that what we told our folks???)