Thursday, May 14, 2009

Primary--You Gotta Love It!


It was my turn to teach on Sunday. I was teaching the 4-year-olds that their hands are a blessing. To start the lesson, I put my hands behind my back and said, "What am I hiding behind me back?" The correct answer, of course, was "my hands", which, ironically, was what my co-teacher teasingly guessed--not knowing she was correct. From the kids, I got answers like, "monsters" and "treats". I continued to give clues and ask "What am I hiding?" When one of the boys raised his hand and said, "I know! Your Butt!"

Shocked, I laughed and said, "Well, you are right, my butt is back there, but that isn't what I am looking for--keep guessing." Side note: What an odd lesson it would have been if that had been the correct answer--Oh my!

Inside, what I really wanted to say was this, "Well, you are right, my butt is back there, but hiding? NO! There is no hiding that monster! Thanks for pointing that out!!" And then, I would break down and start sobbing in front of the terrified group of children. Now that would have been a lesson they would never forget! I probably would have been released too...what do you think? Oh...so tempting! :D

Just a little "bum humor"!

8 comments:

Dellp said...

well it is good that the little dear has a basic grasp of anatomy. I would bet that his mom would be mortified with his response.

I will say that I do prefer teaching the adults. I have yet to have one of my grandma and grandpa aged classmembers comment on my butt. :oD

Cluttered Brain said...

Aren't 4 year olds precious? I currently serve in the primary as first counselor--I LOVE the children! They are so knowledgeable about a great many things.....:)

Holly said...

Aren't kids funny!? My first thoughts though were of the parents, gotta be a proud moment when you find out that it was your child that said butt in primary...
; )

Lisa said...

I love it.

William said...

Ms. Kristen and I trade students after lunch.

One afternoon, she was showing flashcards when the word "pretty" came up. The boys were struggling, so Ms. Kristen decided to prompt them by saying, "Ms. Kristen is..."

Booger-boy screams, "WHAT?! YOU'RE PREGNANT?!"

Of course, the lesson was lost as any attempt to get the kids to re-focus would have been futile.

Anonymous said...

I think your comments about your butt are futile, we all know its just a cute little thing that follows you everywhere! I think it would have been funny to show them the two little birds hiding behind your back, but I am sure no mother would appreciate THAT!!! Gee honey what did you learn at primary today, and he shows her by flippin' the bird!!!! Wanna get released??? ;-) BTW I will swear it never happened!

William said...

Darn! I wish I'd come up with the bird comment! xD

stoner said...

I wish I had come up with the bird comment too! Tammie you kill me!